- Abe Ng is the CEO and founding father of a multimillion-dollar sushi franchise, Sushi Maki, which has over 20 areas all through South Florida and received Whole Food’s “Supplier of the Year” award.
- Ng shared with Business Insider what he discovered from the “colossal failure” of his first enterprise, a gourmand burrito chain that shortly went underneath.
- Collaborating with different corporations was very important to bettering enterprise, Ng mentioned.
- He additionally defined how his family-oriented administration model elevated productiveness and fostered loyalty, and the way he tailored to meals supply apps to extend gross sales.
- Click right here for extra BI Prime tales.
Abe Ng took an enormous threat opening a sushi franchise in Miami 19 years in the past. It was uncharted territory for Japanese delicacies in South Florida, and Ng wasn’t certain how effectively it might do. His confidence was already shaken from a earlier failed enterprise in 1997, a gourmand burrito chain that shortly folded in underneath three years.
Ng (pronounced “ing”) already gave private ensures on leases for 2 areas in Miami for the burrito restaurant that was, in his phrases, a “massive failure.” Since he already signed the leases and his burrito chain folded, he checked out what sorts of eating places would achieve success within the neighborhood. He realized burrito chain wasn’t doing effectively in a metropolis already saturated with Mexican and Hispanic meals, however his analysis confirmed that sushi was underrepresented.
But he nonetheless feared his subsequent enterprise would finish the identical approach as the primary.
“You think of all the consequences and what do you do if it fails? Go back to school? You think of all the downsides,” Ng mentioned.
Ng mentioned that he had no alternative however to go forward with one thing to fill the area that he leased. Because of his first failed enterprise, his funds had been stretched skinny.
“Our first logo was Microsoft Word Century Gothic Font. We couldn’t afford a logo,” Ng mentioned.
Ng opened the primary Sushi Maki in the summertime of 2000 and earned lower than $1 million in income. He has since opened over 20 areas all through South Florida, main over 250 folks, the place Sushi Maki earned over $20 million this 12 months. His firm received a Whole Food’s “Supplier of the Year” award and Ng personally acquired management awards, together with a title from South Florida Business Journal because the “Ultimate CEO,” and a regional finalist for the Ernst & Young’s “Entrepreneur of the Year.”
In an interview with Business Insider, Ng shared how he rebounded from his failures and the way he grew his enterprise to be some of the recognizable sushi chains in Miami.